The Head of Content supports organisational growth by providing strategic content direction and strategy, building new relationships and maintaining existing client relationships, as well as ensuring that client projects relating to content are implemented according to superior standards of quality and on schedule.
The Head of Content has responsibility for his or her own team within Berkeley Communications, reporting into the Operations Director – Partner (OD) and is responsible for a fee value to be determined by the agency. The Head of Content is targeted on maintaining and growing this fee income, meeting utilisation figures set by the agency and evaluating and reducing over-servicing within his/ her team.
Responsible for planning, developing and managing client projects – typically several at once. Responsible for determining a client’s initial creative direction, schedule and scope and directing appropriate team members in fulfilling the specifications to meet client and company objectives.
Managing client expectations and communicating to each stakeholder at every step of a project will play a vital role to maintaining successful relationships and quality service delivery. Also determine the short- and long-term resource strategy, build and direct the team and designate responsibilities among each team member. They are also responsible for supporting the OD in attracting talent and reducing churn of both clients and high performing staff.
Be an advocate of the Berkeley Communications brand ‘storytelling’, driving the philosophy inside and outside the agency and emphasising the Berkeley company values (PIES).
- Lead on research-based content creation and business intelligence to support client accounts, new business pitches, and Berkeley’s own thought leadership.
- Plan, develop and oversee the execution of content strategies to support the objectives of the client’s business, within agreed timescales and budgets to ensure the account remains stable and profitable.
- Identify opportunities to increase fee income and sell additional services to clients, through additional ongoing activity or project work.
- Hold regular client meetings to review the PR content strategy and ensure it complements business and marketing objectives and plans.
- Ensure rigorous quality control is maintained in all work produced by the team, and Berkeley guidelines are adhered to.
- Speak regularly with clients to ensure they are happy and to discuss any potential issues or a need to reset expectations etc.
- Research and draft whitepapers, insight documents (external and internal) and trends snapshots as required. Research and craft creative concepts for new business and client campaigns.
- Involvement in business development and new business pitches.
- Project manage client content development, acting as a driving force to ensure the agency and all teams involved in any campaign, deliver on client expectations.
- Ensure the company’s business goals, values, operating objectives and standards of performance are clearly communicated and understood by your team(s).
- Actively develop own new business opportunities through industry contacts, networking, attending events, exhibitions, social networking etc.
- Be active on the company blog and Twitter and understand the tools and benefits associated with digital PR and encourage the sharing of new ideas, tools and approaches.
- Help to develop new aspects of storytelling, and capture positive examples from your team to share, as well as feedback from media or the competitive landscape to help shape the philosophy and course. Work regularly with your team(s) to ensure that Storytelling is alive and well in everyday work.
- Attend credentials meetings to qualify leads produced by the telemarketing team or other lead generation activities and lead pitch teams.
- Line management responsibilities and responsibility for mentoring other individuals within both the team and the organisation as a whole.
- Take a lead role in helping to cultivate team spirit and culture in the office. Help to attract and delight talent – and reduce churn of high performing staff
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the team; work with individuals setting goals to improve specific skills.
- Be prepared to provide hands-on support to colleagues when required.
Skills & Experience:
The Head of Content will have experience in similar PR/ journalism roles, and will ideally possess the following attributes:
- Strong leadership skills to inspire and motivate individuals to exceed client expectations.
- Good listener and approachable
- Creativity, energy and enthusiasm
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Display autonomy and accountability; be able to make a decision.
- Strong relationships with all target media, including national and online press
- Self – motivation and a persuasive manner
- Proven spoken and written communication skills across a variety of areas
- Enhanced ‘people skills’, able to adapt to a range of audiences both internally and externally
- Thorough understanding of client’s business and their market.
- Consistent professional manner
- Proven presentation and negotiation skills
Minimum level required: Degree-level or Equivalent